10 of the best boutique hotels in Britain
Choose from 10 of the best boutique hotels in Britain
The boutique hotel has evolved. It’s no longer just a glamorous place to stay: the cream of the crop have become a passport to the very best of what your destination can offer, with the pick of local art on the walls, expert concierge services from local staff who really know their stuff, and locally-sourced and inspired menus that offer you the area’s gourmet delights. These 10 boutique hotels will help you discover what makes Britain great.
Oak House no.1, Tetbury
Thought the Cotswolds was full of dusty antiques and country estates? Let this B&B, bursting with modern art and incredible cream teas, show you otherwise.
• Double rooms from £225 per night. Book at www.i-escape.com
Randy Pike, The Lake District
This former hunting lodge near Ambleside has three suites with unusual flourishes like fish-print wallpaper, plus a café/restaurant serving brown bread ice cream.
• Suites from £180 per night. Book at www.randypike.co.uk
Holm House, Penarth
The Victorian seaside town of Penarth, 10 minutes from Cardiff, has this Art-Deco gem of a boutique hotel with sea views, Welsh tapas and luxurious touches including Aromatherapy Associates products.
• Double rooms from £100 per night. Book at www.mrandmrssmith.com
Get to know a different side of Soho at this antique-filled Georgian townhouse hotel, once frequented by the 18th-century literati.
• Double rooms from £165 per night. Book at www.i-escape.com
The George, Rye
What better way to experience the delights of historic Rye than by staying in this Georgian hotel with a contemporary twist? The boutique hotel’s restaurant serves locally caught fish and wine from Sussex vineyards.
• Doubles from £135 per night. Book at www.thegeorgeinrye.com
Blythswood Square, Glasgow
Such is the commitment to showcasing local treats, Blythswood Square has seaweed brought in from the Hebrides for its Scottish-themed spa. There’s tartan here too – but the good kind…
• Doubles from £120 per night. Book at www.townhousecompany.com/blythswoodsquare
The Pig, Brockenhurst
This New Forest hideaway has majestic grounds straight from a Jane Austen novel, plus sublime food from a former Ivy chef.
• Double rooms from £125 per night. Book at www.i-escape.com
Hotel Tresanton, Cornwall
This elegant family-run boutique hotel has classic navy blue and white striped bedspreads, Cornish cream teas and a pontoon in St Mawes Bay for hardy swimmers.
• Double rooms from £190 per night. Book at www.tresanton.com
The Gunton Arms, Norfolk
Set in a deer park, this eight-bedroom pub with rooms is owned by Lucian Freud’s art dealer and has sensational food, and, of course, world-class paintings.
• Double rooms from £95 per night. Book at www.theguntonarms.co.uk
The Harbourmaster Hotel, Aberaeron
Urban chic – in the wild west of Wales? No, we’re not off our rocker: this place is sensational, with modern nautical style, locally sourced food and fantastic sea views.
• Double rooms from £127 per night. Book at www.mrandmrssmith.com
Further useful references
Boutique hotel specialists include: